This is the first in a series of blog posts by our in-house ITOM’ologist, Seshadri Bondalakunta. This recurring blog will look at specific ITOM technologies within the OpsRamp solution and general ITOM challenges. Got an idea for this blog or want to learn more about ITOM at OpsRamp? Email your questions or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
I still remember back in the day when a NOC manager needed to work with multiple Excel workbooks just to understand what is a newly onboarded asset, what is an updated asset, what is a de-commissioned asset, what is in maintenance, and what is an un-managed asset. This swivel-chair IT asset management turned a relatively simple discovery process into a 20+ hour job.
Thankfully, we are far removed from the days when an IT admin needed to refer to multiple Excel files to achieve one small result of a discovered asset. With OpsRamp, NOC managers no longer need to go through this mayhem. A simple webhook JSON push will resolve the issue.
Now, users can push discovered data from OpsRamp to any CMDB (e.g., ServiceNow CMDB) to create, update and delete each event instance. OpsRamp also allows you to discover more than 400 out-of-the-box (OOB) attributes for each resource. All you need to do is pick any of these attributes, use our OOB placeholders for mapping, convert it to JSON format and send it across to any CMDB platform. Here is a real-life scenario on how we did a CMDB integration push from OpsRamp to ServiceNow. From the screenshot below, there are 11 different resource types, and each resource type has OOB attributes discovered in OpsRamp.
Having a ServiceNow integration in place (3rd party CMDB) including endpoint URL and credentials, we will use the POST method of API integration to push a JSON payload to ServiceNow. ServiceNow users can then see all the latest discovered data from OpsRamp in their own application.
Benefits of OpsRamp-ServiceNow Integration
OpsRamp-ServiceNow ITSM integration enables you to maintain service levels for uptime and availability by managing real-time incidents across your hybrid IT environment. You can now convert infrastructure alerts from OpsRamp into context-enriched service desk tickets for optimal incident identification, analysis, prioritization and response. Other key benefits include:
- No extra license required. You can work seamlessly between OpsRamp and ServiceNow
- One stop for your updated IT asset inventory. Discover it in OpsRamp, manage it in ServiceNow.
- Get a clear picture of the IT assets managed by OpsRamp and ServiceNow.
- Create ITSM tickets in ServiceNow with the latest discovered information from OpsRamp.
At OpsRamp, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise company, we’ve embarked on a journey to consolidate our existing discovered data to give quality and dynamic information to end users. Breaking down siloes between your ITOM and ITSM systems in this way will ensure that you can respond to and resolve incidents faster, reduce alert noise and route helpdesk tickets to the teams that can best respond to them.
Reach out to us for more information on how to make your life easier by implementing the OpsRamp-CMDB integration. While ServiceNow is our most popular CMDB integration, OpsRamp integrates with other ITSM solutions including Cherwell Software, Freshworks Freshservice, Atlassian, Zendesk and more.
- Read more about the OpsRamp-ServiceNow integration
- Read more about OpsRamp’s AI-driven event and incident management capabilities
- Learn how Coforge combined ITOM and ITSM in a single platform with OpsRamp
- Learn more about OpsRamp’s extensive third-party integration support
- Schedule a custom demo with an OpsRamp solution expert.
- Follow OpsRamp on Twitter and LinkedIn for real-time updates and news from the world of IT operations.